UConn HomeBanner
           
  




The Oral History Office at the University of Connecticut (OHO at UConn) originates, supports and sponsors projects which emphasize Connecticut's history and development, as well of projects that deal with a wide variety of other subjects, including the University itself.

 

 

Oral History Office
U-1132
Storrs, CT 06269-1132
Tel: (860) 486-5245/4578
Fax: (860) 486-4582

 

OHO historians develop source material through a program of recorded interviews, a valuable research technique which provides access to historical sources which would otherwise remain untapped. Interviews are subsequently transcribed to allow easy use of the material. Recordings, transcripts and related materials are serviced at the Reference Desk of the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center. These archives are open to students and professional researchers and photocopying is available.

OHO at UConn was established as the Oral History Project in 1968 and began to expand in the late seventies in response to a growing professional interest in this research technique. It was designated a Center by the University's Board of Trustees in 1981, and continues to increase both the number of research projects coming under its umbrella and the services it provides. In 2007, the Center's name was changed to Oral History Office.

Center-based activites have been supported by funding from such agencies as the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Connecticut Humanities Council and the U.S. Office of Education, as well as by private sources and the University of Connecticut.

Publications originating from OHO at UConn include: Mills and Meadows: A Pictoral History of Northeastern Connecticut, From the Old Country: An Oral History of European Migration to America, Connecticut Workers and Technological Change, Witnesses to Nuremberg: Americal Participants at the War Crime Trials, and Red Brick in the Land of Steady Habits: Creating the University of Connecticut, 1881-2006.

 

      
University of Connecticut         Special Collections at the Dodd Center     
Oral History Office
U-1132
Storrs, CT 06269-1132

Tel: (860)486-5245